Friday, May 22, 2009

Tuna Patties with Lemon Dill Sauce


My sister, Sarah (Delectable Dining), recently posted this very recipe, except she substituted salmon for the tuna. I've made both versions--my husband really likes the salmon patties, but refuses to try the tuna! My Mom used to make these when we were growing up and I think it's safe to say that it's one of those meals that my sisters and I all enjoyed! I wasn't exactly sure how my kids would feel about this recipe, so I went ahead and made them macaroni and cheese, however, no sooner did I sit down to eat my lunch, they both started swarming around me like a pack of vultures! I halved the recipe, because I figured I'd be the only one eating and needless to say, I got all of a few bites--my kids inhaled ALL of them!!! (One can makes about 4 patties). My little non-picky eaters make their Mommy proud :) Next time, I'll definitely make two cans, because my son was even asking if there were any more tuna patties left for his dinner!

Tuna Patties with Lemon Dill Sauce

2 small cans tuna
1 cup finely crushed saltines
1 cup finely chopped celery
1/2 cup finely chopped onion (more if desired)
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard

Lemon Dill Sauce:
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon (or more) dried dill weed

Directions:

Drain and flake tuna. Stir in cracker crumbs, celery, onion, mayonnaise, eggs and dry mustard. Shape into 12 patties, using about 1/4 cup mixture for each. Cook in a greased skillet for 8-10 minutes, turning once.

For sauce, combine mayonnaise, lemon juice and dill weed. Mix well and spoon over tuna patties.

NOTE: If desired, serve tuna patties in warmed, split pita bread with sauce, lettuce, tomato and cheese.

Source: Adele Fine

5 comments:

  1. I love tuna patties and I think putting them into a pita would be fabulous with some bean sprouts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look delicious. I make salmon patties, as my mom always did. We have never tried with tuna, duh! Thanks! Good idea for this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so reluctant to try anything that calls for heating tuna (personal aversion), but you make this sound soooo good that I'm seriously thinking of giving it a try. It does look VERY good.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hurray, a food blog for picky eaters! I have 3 little picky eaters and I tend to be a picky eater myself. That double chocolate banana bread sounds like it would be delicious, I look forward to seeing it posted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mom always made tuna and salmon patties while I was growing up. I have not made them in several years. I know Sophie and Chase would enjoy these because they love tuna. I've never had it with any type of sauce. Lemon dill sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete