Friday, May 15, 2009

Tuna Melt


My sister and I were joking around earlier about how we were going to get together one day and make several dishes, all of which contain either tuna or mushrooms...the two things my husband absolutely despises! I've begged and pleaded until I'm blue in the face--there is no way he'll budge on trying anything that has either of those two ingredients included! As soon as my sister mentioned cooking with tuna, I started craving it--the "power of suggestion" is awful, isn't it?!? I had one can of white tuna left and was trying to think of a way to use up these delicious Sara Lee buns that I bought for the burgers we made last night, so I immediately decided to hunt out a tuna melt recipe. I found this recipe on Allrecipes and it sounded perfect--I had everything except for the celery and rye bread, but I wanted to use my rolls, so that wasn't an issue! I increased the onion to compensate for not adding any celery--I'm not a big celery fan anyway! This was a quick and inexpensive meal that I will definitely be making again! Perfect for a last minute lunch idea!

Tuna Melt

2 (6 ounce) cans solid white tuna in water, drained
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
3/4 teaspoon red wine vinegar
1 pinch salt
1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
4 slices of your favorite bread
8 slices ripe tomato
8 slices Swiss cheese
paprika, for garnish

***The original recipe says to add 1/4 cup finely chopped celery, which would probably be really good, if you happen to have it on hand!***

Directions:

Preheat the oven broiler. In a bowl, mix the tuna, mayonnaise, onion, parsley, and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.

Place the rye bread slices on a baking sheet, and broil 1 minute in the preheated oven, until lightly toasted. Remove from heat, and spread with the tuna salad. Place 1 cheese slice over the tuna salad on each piece of bread, layer with a tomato slice, and top with remaining cheese slices.

Return layered bread to the preheated oven, and broil 3 to 5 minutes, until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with paprika, if desired.

Source: Adapted from recipe posted on Allrecipes

9 comments:

  1. My husband wouldn't touch tuna with a 10 foot pole either. He hates it. Maybe it's a guy thing. hehehe. And that sandwich sounds delicious. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! You were supposed to wait for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL. I like tuna sandwiches and eat them fairly regularly. But no way will I ever eat one hot. Can't begin to conceive of it.

    But plenty of folks like them. They can have mine.

    I certainly eat this sandwich cold, though (without the cheese!). I like all the ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my absolute favorite sandwich to make ever - and I love to broil it too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love tuna melts....with cheez whiz on top. Yep...fake cheese all the way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Popped in from Amanda's to say hi! I haven't had a tuna melt in forever! I think I'm going to have to cure that...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stopping by from SITS. Thank you for stopping by my blog :)

    This looks sooooo yummie :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those burgers looks great and so does this! I love tuna. I made tuna casserole last night and have been eating the tuna a bbq sauce. I must be on a tuna kick!

    ReplyDelete
  9. AWW! I am finally in heaven because I think I found THE tuna melt recipe I've been looking for. For the duration of my pregnancy this has been my top craving and I just can't seem to make it the way I've had it in restaurants. So tomorrow I'm going to try out this recipe. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete