Friday, May 22, 2009

Chinese Broccoli Beef


Beef and broccoli is my favorite Chinese dish EVER! My husband and I have both attempted to recreate it at home on countless occasions over the years and it never tastes even remotely close to authentic Chinese food. I was hopeful that I would fall in love with this recipe and while it was very good, my husband and I both were in agreement that it would have been even better, had there been more sauce. I would highly suggest doubling the marinade! All in all, this was as close to the beef and broccoli that I've had out, that we've ever made and we will definitely be making it again!

Chinese Broccoli Beef

1 lb flank steak
4 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons dry sherry
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 bunch fresh broccoli (sliced into florets)
2 garlic cloves (minced)
2 slices fresh ginger (finely minced)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil

Directions:

Slice steak against the grain thinly into strips. Place steak in a bowl or sealable bag. Combine soy sauce, dry sherry and cornstarch. Mix well, and pour mixture over steak strips. Marinate for 15 minutes to a half hour.

Heat the wok and add oil. Add minced garlic and ginger root and stir fry over medium-high heat for about 20 seconds. Add beef and stir fry stirring constantly for a couple minutes. Add broccoli and stir fry for 5 minutes or until broccoli is cooked but still crispy and dark green.

Source: Blog Chef

10 comments:

  1. I love beef and broccoli too and can NEVER get it right at home! I have tried countless times to make it at home and have been very disappointed every time. If you ever find the perfect recipe let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, it's one of those dishes that just doesn't taste right homemade. That and sweet and sour shrimp. I've tried a bunch of different recipes and they all just taste...wrong! Not that it will ever stop me from trying!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of my favorite foods! I can't wait to try out this recipe. I have tried a couple, but you are very right about them not being close enough to the Chinese food from restaurants. Your pictures always make me so hungry :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice blog and great idea for me, i have an 9 month old who will try anything keep on trying lol Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yum, I love broccoli & beef...yours sounds really tasty. Thanks for stopping by to visit me...your blog is very yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your picture looks like 'real' beef and broccoli!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rachel, as a person of the Asian persuasion, I suggest adding more soy sauce and perhaps a quarter to a half teaspoon of white sugar (taste at the lesser amount before adding more--you can always add, it's difficult to take away). I can tell from the color that there's not enough soy sauce, not a criticism just an observation. Sugar is the "secret" ingredient in many stir fries that most folks don't know about.

    Because you are upping the amount of soy sauce, you may have to make a slurry with the cornstarch (equal amounts of cornstarch and water to make a paste), stir, stir, stir into the liquid to make a nice gravy, adding additional water if you've over-estimated on the cornstarch.

    I've done this so much I don't have a recipe for it anymore, I just do it by rote and by eye.

    I also don't add ginger, but only because it never occurred to me. Marinating is a great idea and will help to tenderize the meat.

    I think your basic recipe is good, just more soy sauce, a tad of sugar, think again about the use of ginger. You can always add it when you add the broccoli if you think it needs it. Grins.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My kids always order chicken and broccoli, but I love this dish you created.. Ill have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for all of the comments and thank you to those of you stopping by for the first time!

    A special "thank you" to Katy for the wonderful tips...I can't wait to try them out!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love trying take-out food at home!

    ReplyDelete