Sunday, May 10, 2009

Overnight Caramel French Toast


First and foremost...Happy Mother's Day to all of you Moms and Moms-to-be! I hope you all have the wonderful and relaxing day that you deserve :)

Well, we had my son's first soccer game yesterday, that was BEYOND adorable...my son even scored his first goal! I'm kind of getting into this whole "soccer Mom" thing, which may surprise those who know me, as I am not a huge sport's fan, by any stretch of the imagination, nor am I very "outdoorsy". I feel as if I'm having this strange transformation--I even went with the kids after soccer, to go buy some veggies to plant and we also got some flowers later in the evening and I'm actually excited to do some gardening today! What in the world is happening to me?!? :) Now, on to my recipe...My husband and I decided that today was going to be a relatively "lazy day" (other than the gardening), so I suggested this recipe for breakfast! We got it all ready before bed last night, threw it in the oven this morning and "voila"...breakfast was served! As you've probably noticed, I haven't posted very many breakfast recipes--I've never been much of a breakfast fan! This french toast was a little on the "rich" side for me, but I'm not too big into sweets. One suggestion I would make is to bake the french toast a little longer, so it doesn't come out soggy!

Overnight Caramel French Toast

1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
12 slices white or wheat bread
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon, divided
6 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:

In a small saucepan, bring the brown sugar, butter and corn syrup to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat.

Pour into a greased 13x9 inch baking dish. Top with six slices of bread. Combine sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon; sprinkle half over the bread. Place remaining bread on top. Sprinkle with remaining cinnamon-sugar; set aside.

In a large bowl, beat the eggs, milk, vanilla and remaining cinnamon. Pour over bread. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.

Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes.

Source: The Taste of Home Cookbook

4 comments:

  1. Just wanted to tell you we tried the hoedown chuck roast tonight and we LOVED it. Thanks for the great recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks SO Yummy! My mom has one similar to it that used sliced and peeled apples under the topping. I'm excited to try yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that looks delicious! yum! love your blog. it's making me a little hungry! :)

    just stopping by from SITS to say hello!

    ReplyDelete