Saturday, May 23, 2009

Easy Sugar Cookies


I give my husband a hard time about the sweets that he consumes, but I'll be the first to admit that cookies are my absolute weakness! I've been having some "behavioral issues" with my son (mostly temper tantrums) and I think a big part of the problem is the fact that he doesn't care to share my attention with his baby sister. I've really been trying to make a conscientious effort to find activities that he and I can do and cookies seemed like the perfect idea for today! I picked this recipe, because I don't believe I've ever made sugar cookies before (even though I love them!) and it seemed like a relatively easy recipe to make with my four year old. It also was a major bonus that this recipe was rated 4.5 out of 5 stars, based on over 1500 reviews on Allrecipes.com! These cookies were so buttery and had the perfect amount of "sweetness"...some sugar cookies are way too sweet for me and they were very simple to make!

Easy Sugar Cookies

2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.

In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in egg and vanilla. Gradually blend in the dry ingredients. Roll rounded teaspoonfuls of dough into balls, and place onto ungreased cookie sheets.

Bake 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden. Let stand on cookie sheet two minutes before removing to cool on wire racks.

Note: Several reviewers stated that unless the butter is completely softened, your batter will be too crumbly, so I would suggest making sure you keep that in mind! I set the butter out first thing this morning (it had been in the freezer) and went ahead and stuck it in the microwave to start melting it a bit, before I mixed it with the sugar.

Makes 3 dozen

Source: Allrecipes

4 comments:

  1. I love sugar cookies, but never have good luck making them at home. I always have to put lots of icing on them to make them taste good. Although I love the icing ones, sometimes you want a great sugar cookie plain. I will be trying this one out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great thing to do with your little son they look great

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sugar cookies are my Sweetie-Pi's all time favorite, and they certainly are a top contender with me. I think there's always time for sugar cookies; I like that I can put the dough in the fridge and bake when I'm good and ready, add choc chips, whatever. Versatile, delicious, easy, WONDERFUL!! What a terrific mom/son time. Some of my best memories of childhood are cooking with my grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Rachel! Thanks for adding me back! I actually posted a whole post on these cookies but of course I named you at the "original poster" thanks for keeping this pregnant women well fed! :O)

    ReplyDelete