Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Baked Rice


Ordinarily, I wouldn't think to serve anything other than mashed potatoes with turkey, but since we just had mashed potatoes the other day (and potatoes again for dinner last night), I went in search of an alternate plan! My goal was to find a recipe that would be quick and easy--I knew my turkey would be ready by the time we got home from soccer practice, so when I found this recipe, I knew it would be perfect! I got the rice all ready to stick in the oven as soon as we got home, so by the time I bathed my son and cut up the turkey, it was just about time to sit down and eat. By no means is there anything particularly "fancy" about this recipe, but it's a nice alternative to making ordinary white rice on the stove.

Baked Rice

2-3 Tablespoons oil
1 cup long grain rice
2 cups stock

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Lightly brown the rice in oil in a 1-quart, ovenproof saucepan. Bring the stock to a boil and pour over the rice, take caution because this can create a lot of hot steam. Bake covered for 30 to 40 minutes, until rice is tender and fluffy.

NOTE: I used 1 1/2 cups of rice and 3 cups of stock and baked it in a 2 quart glass baking dish--this would be an adequate amount of rice for a family of four.

Source: FoodNetwork.com

4 comments:

  1. What a great alternate preparation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ive never baked rice before sounds like a nice way to make it, easy peasy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love baking rice - mostly because I like the crunchy top that goes along with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love rice way more than what is necessary...and this looks great!

    ReplyDelete