Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Slow-Cooker Turkey Breast


Thanksgiving is one of my absolute favorite holidays...I always look forward to the dinner, especially the turkey--in addition to getting together with my family, of course! As much as I enjoy turkey, I don't know why I have never made a turkey breast?!? When I was out grocery shopping the other night, I noticed that Kroger had turkey breasts on sale for $.99/lb, so I thought I would give it a shot--after all, my sister has always raved about how easy and delicious her turkey is, that she makes in the crockpot with apple juice. I've been trying to be good about "meal-planning" for the week, especially now that we've got my son's soccer practices, so I thought that today would be the perfect day to try this recipe!

Slow-Cooker Turkey Breast

(1) 4-6 pound turkey breast
1 1/2 cups apple juice
Garlic Powder
Garlic Salt (optional)

Place turkey breast in slow-cooker. Pour apple juice over turkey and make sure that there is at least an inch to an inch and a half of apple juice covering the bottom of your slow-cooker--you may need a little more than a cup and a half! Sprinkle generously with garlic powder and garlic salt. Cook on low for 6-8 hours, depending on the size of your turkey.

Source: Sarah O'Brien

6 comments:

  1. Glad you tried it! You have to be careful to keep the meat moist-- since it is the white meat. I will baste mine often through the day. Also, I sometimes shred it and mix the meat back in with the juices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds great Rachel.. I just saw this similar on another blog. I can not wait to try it. So moist!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Apple juice? Wow...this looks great. I may have to dig my slow cooker out from the bowels of my spare room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so glad I came across this...I've had a turkey breast in my freezer for a few weeks now with NO idea what to do with it....you are a life saver...thanks...Happy SITS day

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your turkey and rice both sound so easy and yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea! I can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete