Friday, May 15, 2009

30 Minute Shepherd's Pie


Do you ever feel like there just isn't quite enough time in the day to get everything done? I constantly struggle with trying to figure out what I'm going to make for dinner, that won't involve me having to spend hours in the kitchen! I love my children to death, but they seldom are willing to sit still for more than a minute or two and I don't have the energy to chase them around the house, while trying to keep an eye on the food I'm preparing. I've been looking more recently, trying to find quick dinner ideas. I found ground chuck on sale for $1.58/lb, so I was hoping to come across recipes to utilize the 6 pounds that I bought! The last few times I've been over at my sister's house, I've noticed that she had several "Rachel Ray 30 Minute Meal" cookbooks and I know she's made quite a few of her recipes and never has anything but positive reviews, so I thought I'd try one for myself.

My husband called me tonight, on his way home from work and I asked him to pick up a bag of potatoes. I told him that I had found a Rachael Ray "30 Minute Meal" that I was planning to make for dinner and he replied "it's not Shepherd's Pie is it?" It took me a second, but then it dawned on me that he's been following my blog and I had listed this in the "coming soon" section...it's been a long day and I'm not feeling too "quick"! I nonchalantly mentioned that I was going to fry the meat, before I showered (I tend to shower the night before I work, since I'm not ordinarily a happy camper to be up at 4:45am) and he immediately offered to make dinner when he got home. It's funny, because he can drive me up a wall, but he really can be pretty darn considerate when he tries :) Just as an "FYI"...if your husband tries to be as kind as mine was this evening, you may want to forewarn him that Rachael Ray's "30 minute meals" are a bit deceiving! I suppose if you have a magic fairy around to do all of the prep work, you could *possibly* get it done in 30 minutes, but by the time you cut everything up, it takes more like 45-50 minutes. It sure was well worth it, though! This is true "comfort food" and tasted especially good on such a gloomy night!

30 Minute Shepherd's Pie

2 pounds potatoes, such as russet, peeled and cubed
2 tablespoons sour cream or softened cream cheese
1 large egg yolk
1/2 cup cream, for a lighter version substitute vegetable or chicken broth
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, 1 turn of the pan
1 3/4 pounds ground beef or ground lamb
1 carrot, peeled and chopped
1 onion, chopped
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup beef stock or broth
2 teaspoons Worcestershire, eyeball it
1/2 cup frozen peas, a couple of handfuls
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves

Directions:

Boil potatoes in salted water until tender, about 12 minutes. Drain potatoes and pour them into a bowl. Combine sour cream, egg yolk and cream. Add the cream mixture into potatoes and mash until potatoes are almost smooth. (My husband added some Kosher salt, as the potatoes were a bit bland).

While potatoes boil, preheat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add oil to hot pan with beef or lamb. Season meat with salt and pepper. Brown and crumble meat for 3 or 4 minutes. If you are using lamb and the pan is fatty, spoon away some of the drippings. Add chopped carrot and onion to the meat. Cook veggies with meat 5 minutes, stirring frequently. In a second small skillet over medium heat cook butter and flour together 2 minutes. Whisk in broth and Worcestershire sauce. Thicken gravy 1 minute. Add gravy to meat and vegetables. Stir in peas.

Preheat broiler to high. Fill a small rectangular casserole with meat and vegetable mixture. Spoon potatoes over meat evenly. Top potatoes with paprika and broil 6 to 8 inches from the heat until potatoes are evenly browned. Top casserole dish with chopped parsley and serve.

Source: Food Network (Rachael Ray 30 Minute Meals)

17 comments:

  1. Yeah, I was going to say, "Shepard's pie in 30 min, no way!" I guess I was right :) It looks super delish! I'll have to snoop around, looks like you have some great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Visiting from SITS..didn't come up with anything witty :) We have a house of food allergies and I too am stuck in an 8 meal rotation rut. Kudos to you for fighting it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hvae made this before..and I loved it also. I added some tomato paste.. that was my only change.. Yours looks delicious..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh, I love shepherd's pie! This looks like a delicious test on my pretty standard recipe, so will definitely add this to my must do list. Great find. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks great. I am not a happy camper at 4:00 in the morning. That's when my grandson woke up this morning wanting grape juice. Threw off my whole day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a nice, informative blog. I have a lot of reading to do...and a lot of note taking. Unfortunately, I am the picky one in our family, but I am also the cook so it balances out. :D

    Welcome to the wonderful world of SITS! We are glad you joined the fun.

    Come on over and check out my super yummy giveaway... It's always fun to have visitors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks delicious! We love Sheperd's Pie. You may want to try this one, it's very quick and easy too. http://justjoycee.blogspot.com/2009/02/sheperds-pie.html

    I will definitely try your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rachel-this looks wonderful!! I love Sheperd's Pie but haven't fixed in quite awhile, you've made me hungry to prepare it again. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shepherd pie is one of my favorite comfort foods. I will have to try to this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That comment from your husband is funny. My husband says those type of things also when I tell him what's for dinner. Very cute. Thanks for the receipe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, Rachel. This looks YUMMY!
    Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a sweet comment the other day! So glad you are one of my followers. I just love your blog, and I am happy to be one of your newest followers too! These recipes are great.

    Love,
    Taryn

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love shepherd's pie - yours looks and sounds tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh that sounds really yummy!

    Just sayin hi to a fellow Rachel from SITS!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't had Shepherd Pie in forever! Yummy! :) Found you through SITS..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for visiting my blog. this recipe looks great. Anything in 30 minutes works for me

    ReplyDelete
  16. That looks so good! Thanks for sharing!

    Okay, where did you get your cute little graphic? I love to cook, I love to clean. I love my new medication. lol That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Guess I'm going to have to start checking this out:) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete