Saturday, May 30, 2009

Santa Fe Grilled Chicken


This is definitely unlike any recipe I've ever tried! I'm a bit "on the fence"--I think it would be a great quick, weeknight meal, but it seemed to lack something. I think the basic recipe is good and would recommend it, but I wish someone would help me out with a suggestion as to what might enhance the flavor a bit more! I definitely liked the pepper jack cheese (as opposed to just using Monterey Jack) and the salsa complimented the chicken very well, but there's just a little something missing. Then again, the problem may have been that I held back too much with the taco seasoning--I was afraid it would be too spicy/overpowering, so the next time I make it, perhaps I will be a little more generous when I sprinkle it on the chicken.

Santa Fe Grilled Chicken

8 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 2 pounds)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons taco seasoning mix (from 1.25 oz package)
8 slices Monterey Jack cheese (We used Pepper Jack, b/c I couldn't find sliced Monterey Jack)
1 cup chunky salsa

Directions:

Heat gas or charcoal grill. Brush both sides of chicken with oil; sprinkle with taco seasoning mix. Place chicken on grill. Cover grill; cook over medium heat 15 to 20 minutes, turning once and topping each chicken breast with cheese during last minute of cooking time, until juice of chicken is clear when center of thickest part is cut (170 degrees). Serve chicken topped with salsa.

Source: Pillsbury Potlucks & Reunions

21 comments:

  1. I find that when chicken is lacking "something" even though there's a lot of other spices going on, that it's salt (unless of course it was included in the taco seasoning). When I make oven backed chicken and include the salt in the coating mix, it just isn't the same as when I salt the chicken first and then coat the chicken. Just a guess, Rachel. Grins. I'll be interested in other's opinions on this. I think the recipe sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Katy--I think you're right! I've been sitting here thinking about it...I tend to dwell on things until I come to a conclusion :) I think next time I make it, I may sprinkle a little Kosher salt on the chicken first!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel, I'm a "dweller" too. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry... I had to delete my earlier post because there was a typo and it was making me nuts!!

    It sure does look good! I'm with Katy-- I'd try some salt first. What if you were to make more of a 'paste' with the taco seasoning and let it marinate in the fridge for a bit? Just an idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Sarah! I did kind of rub the taco seasoning into the chicken, but the more I think about it, I think it is salt that was missing! Had I put much more taco seasoning, I think it would have been too overpowering. I bet marinating it for a while would be a good idea, too! Overall, the flavor was good...it just needed that little something extra!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This chicken looks great to me. I'll make a note to self to use more taco seasoning because I will be trying this one. I'm always looking for new weeknight/weekend meals. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I immediately thought of marinating too to infuse the flavor better. I can tell that this would be something that we would really enjoy. `

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for stopping by my blog. You're recipes look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I came by through Donna's blog. Everything looks great. I will follow along.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, visiting form SITS! :) I think i gained 10 pounds perusing your blog. I'll def be back! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The chicken looks great. Marinating, adding more salt all sound like great ideas to me. We love hot and spicy food, so I always add some heat.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks great to me! Buy the mild taco seasoning next time and make sure to add the full amount. Maybe you should let the chicken set in the fridge for about an hour before putting them on the grill so the flavoring has a chance to get down in the meat good.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks delicious! I love anything that has to do with chicken breasts!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh that really looks good, I'll have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This recipe looks great to me. I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks mighty tasty! Thanks for sharing!

    Love the name of your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ok I stopped by from SITS and glad I did! I am a terrible cook and you make it look like it can be done!

    Will you be at SITScation??

    ReplyDelete
  19. I made this and it was delicious! I added a few spices and did a review on Bakespace! I also took a picture and to view the larger picture, click on it once you are in my review! Here is the link:

    http://www.bakespace.com/recipes/detail/Santa-Fe-Grilled-Chicken/49057/

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm so glad you enjoyed it!!! I read your review and am anxious to try the suggestions that you made! Thank you for making mention of my blog within your review--that was very sweet! :)

    ReplyDelete