Saturday, May 23, 2009

Roast Chicken with Lemon and Onion Roasted Potatoes



I've spent a LOT of time looking through my cookbooks recently, trying to come up with new ideas. Both of these recipes come from a cookbook that was put together for me as part of my bridal shower gift. My Mom and sister enclosed recipe cards in my bridal shower invitations and requested that each guest share some of their favorite recipes. I had two bridal showers and received two separate cookbooks...both filled with countless recipes from my family and friends. This chicken recipe was from one of my Mom's friends from college and it was incredible!!! I couldn't get over how moist and flavorful it was. Whole chickens really do intimidate me, but this is definitely worth making. The potato recipe was given to me by one of my grandmother's close friends and they, too, were delicious! The onion soup mix with the potatoes is a wonderful combination!

Roast Chicken with Lemon

1 whole roasting chicken
Lawry's seasoned salt and pepper
1-2 whole lemons, depending on size

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Wash chicken in cold water and drain/pat dry. Sprinkle inside and outside with salt and pepper (rub into all areas). Soften lemon(s) by rolling, then prick them all over with a fork and place INSIDE chicken. Put chicken on roasting pan, breast down and bake 15 minutes (no basting needed).

Turn chicken breast side up. Bake another 20 minutes, then turn oven temperature up to 400 degrees. Bake another 30-60 minutes, checking for "doneness" on poultry setting of meat thermometer.

Source: Tricia Smith

Onion Roasted Potatoes

1 envelope onion soup mix
2-3 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut in chunks
1/3 cup margarine, melted
garlic powder, to taste

Directions:

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In large plastic bag, add all ingredients. Close bag securely and mix until potatoes are evenly coated. Empty potatoes into shallow baking or roasting pan. Discard bag.

Bake, stirring occasionally for 40 minutes, or until potatoes are tender and golden brown. Garnish with chopped parsley, if desired.

Source: Shirley F.

15 comments:

  1. Similar to the Barefoot Contessa method I use - lemons, a head of garlic cut in half and some thyme stuffed into the chicken. And to keep it moist, bacon draped over the top - the best bacon you will ever eat once it's done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The smell of a roasting chicken is so wonderful. This looks so delicious and the seasoned potatoes make the perfect side.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so good! I definitely need to try those potatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a great idea for a bridal shower looks fab

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds simple and so very delicious, and those potatoes, MMMMM!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both dishes look amazing! I love roasting chickens. Lemon and chicken go so well together. YUMMY :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. oman that chicken looks perfectly yummy!

    stoppin by from SITS, added you as a follow, love the recipes ;)

    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've made those potatoes before, and they ARE very very good. Can't go wrong!

    Now that's an interesting chicken recipe; I am intrigued. I rarely roast a whole chicken because it generally makes too much for us, but I think I'd really like to give this a try. Fun and delicious posts! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can relate to the "picky" eater. I rarely deviate from anything other than meat and pottatoes. So this recipe looks yum, yum, yum! Thanks, stopping by from SITS~

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmm. You just can't beat an oven roasted chicken. The potatoes look great too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh you make me hungry! Can't wait till dinner and it's your fault :) Yummy!

    Happy Memorial day! Visiting here via Sit,

    Maricris
    http://zenforyou.dalefg.net

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE lemon chicken and roast potatoes are my favorite, what time is dinner?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! That looks really yummy! I love the name of your blog...that is so me...but you obviously come out on the WIN side. Sadly, I take an "L" every night! Stopping by from SITS! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete