Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Double Chocolate Banana Bread


I've had several people express interest in this recipe and I'm SO sorry for the delay in posting! It seems like ordinarily, I buy bananas and they are black within days, but of course when I'm anxiously awaiting for them to ripen, they take their sweet time. My sister gave me a little tip that she learned from my aunt and I couldn't believe how quickly this worked! If you need ripe bananas for a recipe, stick them in the freezer for 24 hours, thaw and they're ready to use :) Another suggestion that I read about was to put bananas in a brown paper bag with an apple--apparently the apple releases a gas that speeds up the ripening process. I was so glad that I was finally able to make this last night and it very much was worth the wait! (Again, please excuse my picture...it was already pitch black outside, by the time I got around to taking it!)

Double Chocolate Banana Bread

1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 1/4 cups mashed bananas (about 3)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup cocoa (I prefer dutch process)
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips

Heat oven to 350. Spray bottom of 8x4 inch loaf pan with cooking spray.

Beat sugar, eggs, and oil in large bowl at medium speed until combined. Beat in banana and vanilla at low speed. Combine flour, cocoa and baking soda in medium bowl; beat into banana mixture at low speed just until combined. Stir in chocolate chips.

Spoon batter into pan. Bake 60-70 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Remove from pan; cool completely on wire rack.

***No, you're not losing your mind...I did switch pictures! I couldn't get very good light last night, so I took another picture just now :)


Source: The Sister's Cafe

12 comments:

  1. This looks wonderful - can't beat double chocolate in banana bread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, that looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely and great tips, in fact a lot of folks just like eating frozen bananas also i think you are beating the kitchen!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This bread looks fantastic. It sounds great, chocolate and bananas are 2 of my favorites!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, this looks SO good! I'm excited to surf your blog as well, great recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG! You are my kind of foodie. Can everyone say YUMMM!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds delicious...and I just happen to have some bananas ready for baking :) yay!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This bread looks scrumptious, I'll have to try out those tips some time. Never knew about sticking them in the freezer, that ones new to me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am going out to buy bananas this week, my kids will be so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  10. yum! glad I found you through Heidi's blog :) I'll be back!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Made your double chocolate banana bread yesterday and it was yummy. A great alternative to regular banana bread, when you've just gotta have that chocolate fix. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete