Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Three-Cheese Grilled Cheese



First and foremost, please excuse my picture...it doesn't begin to do this sandwich justice! It was a bit messier than expected and began to fall apart! I recently ordered the newest Taste of Home cookbook from Amazon.com and was flipping through it last night when I came across this recipe. As soon as I saw it, I knew that the next day's lunch was a no-brainer! This is a wonderful spin on a classic grilled cheese sandwich, although it's quite a bit richer! I realized that I only had sliced swiss cheese, so I chose to use shredded cheddar as my second cheese, which accounts for why my sandwich was especially messy and difficult to photograph...although it tasted delicious! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did :)

Three-Cheese Grilled Cheese

2 slices wheat, rye or sourdough bread
2 tablespoons cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons butter, softened
2 slices white cheese (brick, Monterey Jack or Swiss)
2 slices yellow cheese (cheddar, pepper or taco)
1 red onion slice
1 tomato slice

Directions:

For each slice of bread, spread cream cheese on one side and butter on the other. On one side of bread, with cream cheese side up, layer white cheese, yellow cheese, onion and tomato. Top with other slice of bread, cream cheese side down.

Toast sandwich for 2-3 minutes on each side or until bread is lightly browned. Remove from the heat; cover until cheese melts.

UPDATE (3/4/09): I made this sandwich again for lunch today, tweaking it a bit this time and enjoyed it even more! I had some leftover french bread, which I used instead of the types of bread suggested and I omitted the cream cheese. Even though the slices of french bread were smaller than a "normal" slice of bread, I found that the size was plenty large enough, seeing as how it is very rich!

Source: The Taste of Home Cookbook (New Revised Edition)

No comments:

Post a Comment