Sunday, March 29, 2009

BBQ Meatballs and Mashed Potatoes


My husband always used to ask me why I never made meatballs--I guess it was because I don't really remember my Mom making them growing up. I absolutely love meatloaf, so you would think I would have attempted to make meatballs at some point. I think I already mentioned the cookbook I was given as part of my bridal shower gift...well, included was a recipe for meatballs that were to die for! (I'll have to post that recipe in the near future!) Ever since I tried them, I have been in search of other meatball recipes that sounded appealing. I constantly hear people raving about the "Pioneer Woman" and having tried her spicy shredded pork last week, I figured that I couldn't go wrong with this recipe! They were DELICIOUS!!!!!! The Pioneer Woman suggested serving her BBQ Meatballs with egg noodles or mashed potatoes and I, personally, chose to serve mashed potatoes. I've experimented over the years, adding different ingredients/spices, in an attempt to get mine "just right". There's nothing fancy about this recipe...just a classic take on mashed potatoes!


BBQ Meatballs


Meatballs
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
3/4 cup oats
1 cup milk
3 tablespoons very finely minced onion
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
plenty of ground black pepper

Sauce
1 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons vinegar
2 tablespoons Worcestershire
4 to 6 tablespoons onion
Dash of Tabasco

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine all meatball ingredients. Roll into medium-small balls and place on a cookie sheet. Place sheet in freezer for five minutes.

Remove from freezer and immediately dredge in unseasoned flour.

Brown meatballs in canola oil until just brown. Place into a baking dish.

Combine all sauce ingredients. Pour over meatballs and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Serve with egg noodles, mashed potatoes, or crusty french bread.

Source: Pioneer Woman

Mashed Potatoes

8-10 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 sticks butter or margarine
3/4 cup warm milk (or more, depending on desired consistency)
3/4 teaspoon Kosher salt (add more if necessary)
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon pepper

Directions:

Place potatoes in a pan and cover with water. Add 2 teaspoons salt to water and bring to a boil; cook for 20-25 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Drain well. Add butter and mix with an electric hand mixer (or mash by hand) until blended in. Add warm milk, Kosher salt, garlic powder and pepper. Continue to mix/mash until desired consistency.

Source: Rachel Guajardo (Rachel Vs. The Kitchen)

2 comments:

  1. I saw these on Pioneer womans site. They looked good, I am excited to know you liked them, Ill have to try them!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also saw these on Pioneer woman. I drooled over them then,and I'mstill drooling. I can't wait to try these.

    ReplyDelete