Thursday, March 26, 2009

Chocolate Chip Blondies



I have never had much of a "sweet tooth"--the thought of gooey/rich desserts almost makes me sick to my stomach. I will say, however, that I have a weakness for cookies and brownies! I've been following the blog "Tried-and-True cooking with Heidi" and have been anxious to try out some of her recipes. This recipe definitely caught my eye...I love it when I know I don't have to make a special trip out to the store to get ingredients! I also love how she attempts to make recipes that fit anyone's budget. It's definitely expensive raising kids these days, especially when you're relying almost exclusively on one income. My son always has a case of the "gimmies" when we're at the grocery store, particularly when we're heading down the snack aisle, but I can't stand buying all of those fatty/processed foods for him (or for my husband who thinks I don't notice when he sneaks a sweet or two once I go to bed!) These chocolate chip blondies are pretty "rich", but it didn't stop me from eating them! Both of my kids thoroughly enjoyed them, as will my husband when he gets home tonight!

Chocolate Chip Blondies

1-1/2 cups Dark Brown Sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Directions:

In a large bowl, combine the brown sugar, butter, eggs and vanilla just until blended. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to brown sugar mixture. Stir in chocolate chips. Spread into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars.

***This was super easy...a recipe you could definitely have your kids help you with!***



Source: Tried-and-True Cooking with Heidi

4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the kind words about my blog. I'm honored! I'm so glad you enjoyed the blondies. They sure didn't last long at my house...now the evil butterscotch cookies are still hanging around. My girls still haven't tried them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heidi--I have a feeling they won't last long around here, either! I'll be making the butterscotch cookies in a few days...I decided to bring them home with me when I make a trip to visit my parents. My Mom LOVES butterscotch! I truly do enjoy your blog and look forward to trying additional recipes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel- I saw these on Heidis blog, they looked delicious, and they look just as delicious here!! I love how you try so many recipes from different bloggers! So fun to read the reviews:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw these on Heidi's blog also and have them bookmarked to try. Glad to hear that you guys liked them also! I can't wait to get them made!

    ReplyDelete