Monday, March 9, 2009

Barbecue Pulled Pork



Oh how I love the taste of BBQ pork! This is another perfect example of an easy recipe that can be thrown in the crock pot early in the day and ready by dinner time--actually, to say it is "easy" is an understatement! I think everyone is trying to be cautious in terms of spending lately and pork shoulder picnic roast is almost routinely on sale for $1-$1.19/lb. (Kroger had it for $.88/lb last week...it doesn't get much better than that!) My sister gave me this recipe several years back and I've yet to find anyone who didn't enjoy it. I have made this (and the Italian beef recipe, featured on my sister's blog: Delectable Dining) for countless family get-togethers and it's always a hit! You can certainly use your favorite BBQ sauce, but we HIGHLY recommend Sweet Baby Rays!

Barbecue Pulled Pork

4-5 lb Pork Shoulder Picnic Roast
1 cup water
Minced Garlic
Minced Onion
Onion Powder
Garlic Salt
1 Bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce (we ONLY use Sweet Baby Rays!)

Place pork roast in crock pot (fat side up) with 1 cup of water. Sprinkle generously with minced garlic, minced onion, onion powder and garlic salt. Cook on low for 7 1/2 hrs. Remove excess fat from roast and drain the majority of the liquid. Shred the pork with two forks. Stir in your favorite BBQ sauce and continue cooking on low for 30 minutes...or long enough to warm the BBQ sauce. Serve on your favorite rolls!

Source: Sarah O'Brien

3 comments:

  1. Rachel- How funny. I love Sweet Baby Rays too. This sounds so terrifically good, and the photo makes the pork look so juicy. I would like one! MMMMM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet Baby Rays is the best. Our town has an annual fish fry that also serves whole hog and the only bbq sauce we use is sweet baby rays. Everyone raves over it too. It is great on pork.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My wife and I do something very similar. Not sure where my wife picked up the recipe but we'll put the pork in the crock pot but we completely cover it with water...not sure why really but it always turns out great.

    We've never tried Sweet Baby Ray's before. We'll pick some up at the store next time we make this. There's a local BBQ place here in Memphis that makes some of my favorite sauce. It's called Commissary BBQ and it's damn good.

    ReplyDelete