Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Spicy Shredded Pork



As soon as I saw this posted on "Delectable Dining", I knew it was a recipe I would have to try! Not only did it initially come from the Pioneer Woman (who my sister swears by), but I knew my husband would love anything with the words "shredded pork" and "spicy" in the title! My husband so graciously offered to make dinner last night, since he knew I'd be working all day and this was a wonderful meal to come home to! I didn't get home until close to 9pm, well after my son had eaten his dinner, but when he tried a bite of my "taco", he asked for one of his own and INHALED it! My husband said that he followed the recipe exactly as it was written, except he ran into one little problem...we didn't have any white wine vinegar. I was in the middle of discharging a patient at work, when the secretary told me that I had a call, so I politely excused myself (thinking maybe it was a doctor calling me back), only to find that it was my husband on the other end, trying to figure out what to do about not having any white wine vinegar. He said that he had called my sister to see if he could substitute regular white vinegar and she told him that wouldn't be advisable, so I suggested that he do a google search to see what a recommended substitution would be. Come to find out, they said that you can use red wine vinegar--the only reason you wouldn't want to is if the color would affect your dish. Since it was just being mixed with pork, it didn't particularly matter and I thought it tasted delicious! I do want to give credit for the picture to my sister, Sarah--I "borrowed" her picture, because I was EXHAUSTED by the time I got home last night and after trying about five or six times to take a picture of this dish, I gave up. I could not seem to make it look as presentable as she did...thanks Sarah!!!

Spicy Shredded Pork

4-7 pound pork shoulder
1 onion
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 cup brown sugar
3-4 garlic cloves
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1-2 tablespoons salt
pepper
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
2-3 tablespoons white wine vinegar

Directions:

Rinse and pat dry the pork shoulder. Place the pork shoulder in the bottom of a 6 quart crock pot and add about a cup of water in the bottom. Combine oregano, cumin, salt, pepper, garlic, brown sugar, chili powder, garlic, olive oil, white wine vinegar and quartered onion in the food processor. Process until well blended. Pour over the pork and rub well into entire surface. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or until the meat easily shreds using 2 forks. Serve in warm tortilla shells with fresh salsa and sour cream.

Source: Delectable Dining (Picture by Sarah O'Brien)

3 comments:

  1. This is making me drool. I have to make this! I'm making a different shredded pork tonight. If I didn't already have it marinating I would try this one... darn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have already bookmarked this recipe because it sounds so wonderful, glad to hear your family enjoyed it too. What a wonderful treat that Marcus prepared dinner so you were able to come home from work, eat and relax. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH, this looks sodelicious!! I had seen this also and was thinking of making it. I think you just sealed the deal!

    ReplyDelete