Monday, March 2, 2009

Buttercream Icing (Happy 1st Birthday Maddie!)




We celebrated my daughter, Madeline's 1st birthday this past Saturday and I had decided that I wanted to make cupcakes (in princess colors, of course!) and her own little "smash cake". I prefer the taste of buttercream frosting to the "whipped" frosting, but have never made it from scratch. I called my sister, Sarah, in a panic on Friday, desperately seeking a recipe and her dear friend, Christy, was so kind as to share her recipe with me. It was absolutely delicious--I received countless compliments! (Thanks, Christy!!!) My sister suggested that I use butter-flavored Crisco, which I was glad that I did, but just as an "FYI"...make sure you use regular Crisco if you are wanting a white base for your cake/cupcakes, as the butter Crisco definitely has a yellow hue! It also calls for butter-flavored extract, which I had never used, but it can either be found with all of the other spices or in the cake decorating section at most any store. (I found that the Wilton brand is a bit cheaper). I hope you enjoy the recipe! Happy Birthday to my dear little Maddie!!!

Buttercream Icing

1 cup Crisco
1 lb powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon butter-flavored extract
2-3 Tablespoons water

Combine first four ingredients in mixing bowl and mix well. (I used my Kitchen Aid with the wire whisk, per Christy's advice and it worked really well!) Gradually add water until frosting is to desired consistency.

***I used the gel food coloring to tint my frosting!**

Source: Christy Ooley

2 comments:

  1. Rachel-I'm so glad the icing was a hit with your family and guests on Maddie's special day!! No pressure there!! :) Your smash cake and cupcakes looks wonderful. What a great picture of the birthday girl too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Christy! You definitely "saved the day" with the icing recipe...I was beyond stressed out when I called Sarah for help/suggestions!

    ReplyDelete