Sunday, March 8, 2009

Slow Cooker Pot Roast



I happen to think that the slow cooker is one of the greatest inventions EVER! It was one of the first appliances I bought when I moved out on my own and it's always been quite the lifesaver! Back when I was in nursing school, spending a great deal of time in the kitchen was in no way an option and now that I have two little ones, I'm finding it more and more difficult to find the time to cook big, elaborate meals. It's pretty darn convenient to throw a bunch of ingredients in a pot in the morning, only to have a savory meal at the end of the day! Today is one of those "lazy days"--my husband, the kids and I are all home together and while it would have been a good opportunity for me to have my husband watch the kids so I could cook, I thought it would be nice to spend the day together and not have to worry about taking time away to prepare dinner. We're all still battling this nasty virus, so I thought a nice "comfort food" like pot roast would taste good!

Slow Cooker Pot Roast

5-6 medium potatoes (cut into cubes)
4 carrots (peeled and sliced)
1 large onion (cut into wedges)
(1) 4-5 lb roast (I typically go with chuck roast!)
1 1/2 cups boiling water
2 beef bouillon cubes
garlic salt
garlic powder
ground black pepper
2 bay leaves

Directions:

Place potatoes and carrots in bottom of slow cooker; sprinkle with garlic salt and pepper. Place meat on top of potatoes and carrots. Sprinkle generously, garlic salt, garlic powder and pepper over meat and place onion wedges and bay leaves on top. Dissolve bouillon cubes in boiling water and pour over meat. Cook on low for 8 hrs.

Source: Rachel vs. "The Kitchen" (Rachel Guajardo)

1 comment:

  1. Comfort food at its best. Love pot roast in the crock pot. Great choice!!

    ReplyDelete