Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Deluxe Grilled Cheese Sandwich


Talk about a sandwich with all of my favorite ingredients!!! Not too long ago, I posted a recipe for a "doctored up version" of a grilled cheese sandwich, but I honestly must admit...I prefer this version, hands down! The other one was definitely "good", but this is the "mother of all grilled cheese sandwiches"! It would be a great sandwich to serve with a cup/bowl of soup when you have company over for lunch...I selfishly ate it by myself :)

Deluxe Grilled Cheese Sandwich

8 ounces mozzarella or Monterey Jack cheese, thinly sliced
8 slices white or whole wheat bread
1 small onion, diced (I used red onion)
8 slices bacon, crisply cooked and drained
1 medium tomato, thinly sliced
1 medium avocado, thinly sliced
Margarine or butter, softened

Directions:

Place half of the cheese on 4 slices bread. Top with onion, bacon, tomato, avocado, remaining cheese and remaining bread. Spread top slices of bread with margarine.

Place sandwiches, margarine sides down, in a skillet. Spread tops of bread with margarine. Cook uncovered over medium heat about 5 minutes or until bottoms are golden brown. Turn and cook 2 to 3 minutes longer or until other sides are golden brown and cheese is melted.

Source: Betty Crocker 20-Minute Recipes

7 comments:

  1. Oh goodness.. what an awesome grilled cheese. I would love some of that!! Looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so good! Definitely made its way high up on my 'must try' list! How was the avocado once grilled?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was absolutely wonderful!!! Sarah--the avocado held up really well...I didn't particularly notice a change in the taste/texture once it was grilled! Definitely try it...I think you'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks kinda like a doctored up grilled cheese/blt (with no lettuce). I'm a huge avocado fan. My husband is a sandwich fan, so I'm going to put this in my must try list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just found your blog and became a follower. I'm looking forward to checking out your recipes. This sandwich looks delicious!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you "justjoycee"...I appreciate you taking the time to look at my blog and am honored that you decided to follow it!

    ReplyDelete