Friday, October 23, 2009

Simply Great Chicken


I have been attempting to try this recipe for a few days now, but it seemed as if something always got in the way! My intention was to use a package of split chicken breasts that I purchased at Meijer, however, for about the 6th time this year, I went to open the package, TWO days before the sell by date and it smelled awful! Has anyone else had a problem with Meijer meat/chicken??? I am honestly convinced that they are switching dates, as it appears awfully coincidental that it only occurs with their meat and chicken! This occurred on Sunday night and my husband planned to take it back Monday (after he got home from work), but we ended up taking our son to the emergency room--both of our kids have been really sick. He was finally able to run it back to Meijer on Tuesday, which was the actual "sell by date" and they said they couldn't do anything about it since we didn't have a receipt. Ummmm, hello!!!!!!!! I don't generally keep grocery receipts, as I don't expect my food to be spoiled when I go to use it...especially two days before the sell by date! We weren't wanting/asking for anything for free--all we wanted was an even exchange...another package of chicken, the exact same weight! They refused to do an even exchange--all they would do is give us the amount of money back that the package was marked (in the form of store credit) and we would have to buy another package of chicken. Naturally, the sale had just switched, so of course the chicken was now double the price. My husband ended up with a store credit and I ended up going out the next day and buying my chicken elsewhere! Anyway, enough of my rant!

I found this recipe on Katy's blog (Food for a Hungry Soul) and as I expected, it was wonderful! She has yet to disappoint me :) I used chicken leg quarters, but would be anxious to try it next time with the boneless skinless chicken breasts. The sauce was delicious, but the chicken didn't seem to absorb as much of it as I had hoped for. I also didn't seem to get as much "sauce" as Katy did--her picture looks much better! This was a great, easy meal to throw together and one I will definitely try again. Thanks, Katy :)

Simply Great Chicken

3 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken
1 ( .7 ounce) packet of dried Italian dressing mix (such as Good Seasonings)
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 13 inch x 9 inch pan and set aside, and/or it may be preferable to line your dish with aluminum foil as the sugar tends to caramelize while baking.

Rinse chicken, pat dry with paper towels.

Combine the dried Italian seasoning mix and the brown sugar, mixing together well.

Dip and press the chicken pieces into the mixture, coating front and back and place into your prepared pan, topside of the chicken facing up. Any extra coating that remains can just be sprinkled over the chicken.

Bake for 50-60 minutes or until chicken is done. Per Katy's suggestion, I turned the chicken over a couple of times and spooned the sauce over it while it was baking. My "final turn" left the chicken with the top side facing up.

15 comments:

  1. I remember seeing this on Katys site, she does have terrific items!!

    It looks terrific and like a perfect meal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always looking for new chicken recipes and this one looks delicious!

    I have had the same problem with seafood from Meijer. The "fresh" fish in the seafood case isn't always fresh. And, yes, they are horrible about taking something back without a recipt. I'm surprised you were able to get store credit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I probably had less chicken as there's only two of us. Perhaps, next time double the sauce ingredients, that should do the trick. Glad you liked it; I think your chicken looks delish!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm, that looks really yummy. I'm definitely going to try that one out. Hope your kids are feeling better. Thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks delicious, Rachel; I remember seeing it on Katy's blog too. I haven't got around to trying it yet.
    I've had trouble with the ground chuck from a store that I've gone to for years- had to take several packages back in the last couple of months. It's very frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The chicken looks great. I saw this on Katy's blog and also want to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry to hear about your trouble with meat at Meijer. I have had similar problems like that at my local market. This chicken does look really yummy. I hope your family gets to feeling better very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i have got to give this a try, it looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! I love Katy's blog. This does look really good!

    Too bad about the chicken! How frustrating that they gave you trouble about it rather than just admit fault. Try Kroger...I don't have one here, but anytime I ever had a problem when I lived in Krogerland, they made it right, no questions asked.

    I hope that your kiddos are feeling better! Trips to the emergency room are scary! Wishing you all good health...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Rachel,
    My name is Neil and I work at Meijer headquarters in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
    I saw your post and want to apologize for your poor chicken experience. As I look into this situation, I'd like to know which particular store you shopped.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The chicken really does look great. That stinks about what the store did. I hate when companies won't stand behind what they sell.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great way to use chicken! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Neil,

    Thank you for your comment...I plan to contact the Meijer headquarters directly in the next week or so. I recently had a death in my family and have not been in the best frame of mind, but I do appreciate your apology.

    Thank you,
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just wanted to say thanks again for posting this one. I tried it out the other day and it's delicious. Hubby loved it and has requested we do it again.

    ReplyDelete