Thursday, August 27, 2009

Penne with Spicy Italian Sausage, Cream, Tomatoes and Peas


I've been a little "under the weather" the past few days, but I was bound and determined to stick to my meal plan for this week! I've been wanting to try this recipe for quite a while now...my parents gave my sister, Sarah and I a special cookbook put out by Sam's Club, called "Favorite Family Dinners". It includes recipes from many famous chefs, including Tyler Florence, who I know so many of you rave about :) This was one of the recipes that immediately caught my eye and then when Sarah made it and posted it on her blog, I knew we had to try it! I was a little nervous to use the spicy Italian sausage, as I've never been a fan of eating anything too spicy, but it honestly was not the least bit overpowering and I wouldn't hesitate to use it again! There were a couple of minor substitutions that I had to make, as I did not quite have the energy to run out to the store and I wasn't about to ask my husband to make another trip out, but the dish still turned out great!

Penne with Spicy Italian Sausage, Cream, Tomatoes and Peas

4 links spicy Italian sausage (I went ahead and used all 5 that came in the package!)
1 pound dried penne
Extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
1/4 cup torn fresh basil leaves (one of the items I didn't have, so I used the dried)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 cup heavy whipping cream (I substituted half and half, as it was about 1/3 the cost)
2 cups peas, blanched
1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, plus more for serving
Fresh basil leaves, for garnish

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place the sausages in a roasting pan and roast in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes, until slightly golden and just cooked. Cut sausages at an angle into bite-size pieces.

Place a large pot of salted water over high heat and bring to a boil. Drop the pasta into the boiling water and cook until tender yet firm (al dente).

Set a large, heavy-based pot over medium heat and add 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add onion and garlic and saute until translucent and fragrant. Add tomatoes and basil; season with salt and pepper. Simmer for 15 minutes, then fold in cream and continue to simmer until rich and creamy. Add sausage, blanched peas, pasta and Parmigiano-Reggiano. Fold together and cook for 2 to 3 minutes to allow the flavors to come together. Serve topped with a shower of cheese and garnish with basil.

*TIP: To blanch peas, submerge them into boiling water for 2 1/2 minutes (1 minute for frozen peas), then strain them and plunge them into ice water to stop the cooking process. Strain them again and set aside.

Source: Sam's Club Favorite Family Dinners (excerpted from Tyler Florence's cookbook: Dinner at My Place).

14 comments:

  1. yum. I'm growing in to liking Italian sausage too -- I used to avoid anything with them as an ingredient. But, this I want to try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks fabulous - I love to use sausage in pastas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you are feeling better!

    This sounds so yummy. I am going to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Yes! Definitely love Tyler. This sounds like a delicious recipe...and look great! Hope you're feeling tip-top soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You really cannot go wrong with a Tylaer recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy! Hope you are feeling better

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm loving the looks of this dish, Rachel! We love italian sausage because it gives great flavor to so many different disshes. I'll have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE sausage/pasta dishes. Found your blog through SITS... now a new follower! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a yummy dinner to me. Sounds like an interesting cookbook.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Total comfort food for me...it looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i hope you get feeling better. this looks like a good way to start, delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've acquired a liking for sausage in pasta, and with the cream and tomatoes, this sounds deeee-lish!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm a huge fan of pasta, I could eat it every day. I would love this dish!

    I hope you're feeling better now!

    ReplyDelete