Friday, August 7, 2009

Beijing Beef


This might honestly be my new favorite "at home" Chinese food recipe!!! (Thank you, Sarah!!!!!!!!!!) I've tried and tried over the years, to make something that tasted even remotely close to what I have when I eat out and this was pretty darn close. I did make a couple of minor changes and will reflect them below--I definitely trust my sister's judgment and thanks to her suggestions, it turned out perfectly! My husband not only had seconds, but made a point to mention that he thought it was the best "Chinese-style" dish I had ever made.

Beijing Beef

1 1/2 lbs flank steak (sliced thinly, against the grain)
6 tablespoons cornstarch (for dusting)
oil (for frying)

Marinade:
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons cornstarch

Sauce:
10 tablespoons water
10 tablespoons sugar
7 tablespoons ketchup
3 tablespoons vinegar
1/2 teaspoon crush chili pepper (I substituted a little chili powder and red pepper flakes, b/c I didn't have chili pepper)
5 teaspoons cornstarch

Vegetables:
2 tablespoons garlic (minced)
1 medium red bell pepper (cut into chunks)
1 medium green bell pepper (cut into chunks)
1 medium vidalia onion (cut into chunks)

Directions:

In a bowl or resealable bag combine all marinade ingredients and mix well. Add beef slices and marinate for 15 minutes. While beef in marinating, mix all of the sauce ingredients together in a bowl and refrigerate. When the beef is done marinating coat the beef slices with 6 tablespoons of cornstarch. Remove any excess cornstarch and deep fry (either in a deep fryer or wok) beef slices in batches until floating or golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Add a couple tablespoons of oil to the wok and add minced garlic and stir fry for 10 seconds. Add red and green bell peppers and onions and stir fry for 2 minutes. Remove vegetables and set aside. Pour sauce into the wok and heat until boiling. Return veggies and beef to pan and mix with sauce mixture until well-coated.

Source: Delectable Dining

12 comments:

  1. looks great hubby loves chinese and beef dishes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love cooking chinese meals at home and this one looks terrific!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love making Chinese food! I can't wait to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also love making take out at home. Looks very tasty

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks very tasty. I love recreating chinese take out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I would have saw this BEFORE grocery shopping! I've never had beijing beef, but it looks amazing. I think this will make the grocery list for next week :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Delicious...love the sound of this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks soooo good! I have on my "to try" list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made this last night. I omitted the ketchup because I didn't have any and added 4 tsp. of hoisin sauce..
    Absolutely delicious!
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete