Friday, February 20, 2009

Bruschetta Chicken



Bruschetta was one of those food items that I always desperately wanted to try while dining out, but because my husband is so picky, we've always gone with the more "safe" option on the appetizer list. Quite to my surprise, he made homemade Bruschetta for dinner on Valentine's Day last year and we both really enjoyed it! Now that I know he will eat it (and I obviously know he'll eat chicken), I thought that this recipe sounded perfect! I did make one revision, however. I did not have any fresh basil on hand and somehow, I was completely out of dried basil, so I used Italian Seasoning instead. I'm sure the basil would be delicious, but if you don't have any, the Italian Seasoning was quite tasty! I would definitely make this chicken again, but I would highly suggest adding salt to the flour or egg before coating the chicken. The topping on the chicken was really good, but if you didn't happen to get the topping with each bite, I felt that the actual chicken was a little bland. (Certainly nothing a little salt wouldn't fix!)

Bruschetta Chicken

1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup egg substitute
4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
1 tablespoon butter, melted
2 large tomatoes, seeded and chopped
3 tablespoons minced fresh basil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon Olive Oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Directions:

Place flour and eggs in separate shallow bowls. Dip chicken in flour, then in eggs; place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Combine the Parmesan cheese, bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle over chicken.

Loosely cover baking dish with foil. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until a meat thermometer reads 170°.

Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Spoon over the chicken. Return to the oven for 3-5 minutes or until tomato mixture is heated through.

Source: Taste of Home

2 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious. Love bruschetta. What a great combination, quick, ealthy, and I bet it was fantastic! Just stumbled upon your blog, very nice, great choices of recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Donna! I'm glad you enjoyed my blog! I glanced briefly at yours (and plan to look again more thoroughly), but I saw quite a few recipes that I'm anxious to try!

    ReplyDelete