Monday, September 21, 2009

Herbed Turkey Breast


This was one of the most bizarre recipes I have ever made! I VERY seldom use sage when I cook and if I do, it's always in moderation (maybe 1/2 tsp at most). This recipe called for one tablespoon, which didn't really phase me, until it started cooking and the smell permeated throughout the house. I don't know if it's just me, but apparently I have an aversion to that particular smell!!! I seriously felt like I was going to be sick and I had visions of having to toss this entire turkey breast. It's crazy, because you all might really like the smell...it could just be that I'm not used to cooking with sage (and don't remember my Mom ever using it)--I actually have kind of noticed that my "sense of smell" has changed a little since having my kids...certain smells bother me now that never used to bother me. The craziest part, is that it was some of the BEST turkey I have ever eaten!!!!! The flavor was wonderful and the turkey itself was incredibly moist. We ate it hot the night I made it (with mashed potatoes, of course!!!) and had the leftover turkey cold for sandwiches last night since I worked all day. I know my "review" of this recipe is a bit strange and I hope it doesn't deter any of you from trying it, because it really was great! Also, like I mentioned...I'm just not at all used to cooking with sage!

Herbed Turkey Breast

1/2 cup butter, cubed
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons finely chopped green onions
1 tablespoon rubbed sage
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried marjoram
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 bone-in turkey breast (5-1/2 to 6 pounds)

Directions:

In a small saucepan, combine the first eight ingredients; bring to a boil. Remove from the heat. Place turkey in a shallow roasting pan; baste with butter mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 170°, basting every 30 minutes.

Source: Taste of Home

14 comments:

  1. I'm the same way! The smell of sage makes me feel like I'm gonna be sick (just like stuff did to me when I was pregnant!), but I like the taste of it cooked in something. When I think of sage I think of sausage though. This sounds really great! Now, if I can handle the smell while it's cooking :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for making me feel better, Heidi! I didn't know if it was just me?!? My husband seemed a bit "turned off" by the smell, as well, but he's SUPER picky, so I never really know whether I should trust his instincts when it comes to food!?!? It really is a great recipe, minus the smell of the sage :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL- that happens to me sometimes with certain smells. I like basil, but I don't like the smell of it. I'm glad to hear that you loved the turkey breast though. I wonder what would happen if you made this one again? I wonder if the smell would grown on you :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only thing I can think of that I use sage in would be stuffing, but I don't use very much so it doesn't have a strong smell. I wonder if it would bother me if it were stronger? I do have plenty of scent-related aversions. My son likes Monster energy drinks, I think they smell like melted plastic. I can't be around him if he's drinking one!

    The turkey sounds delicious! It looks very moist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like sage in small doses; I definitely would have balked at one tablespoon! Wow, that's a lot of sage. I've seen recipes where the fresh leaves are fried, but otherwise, would only use sage in stuffing, which I LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! A whole tablespoon?! Yeah, I'm with you...I would've been nervous. I almost always cut the amount of sage in half because I'm not a huge fan. Still, this turkey breast sounds really yummy. Turkey breast was on sale at our local grocery this week and now I'm thinking that I should've picked one up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sage is strong and reminds me of my grandma...she even used it in her meatloaf! Turkey breasts were on sale at my grocery store this past week, too...I should've picked up a few!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You all made me feel so much better...I didn't know if I was just being hypersensitive to the smell?!? I would love to make this recipe again, b/c we truly did enjoy it, but I think next time, I may just add a teaspoon (at most) of the sage and perhaps add a little garlic powder--we can't get enough garlic!!! I always like to try recipes exactly as they're written the first time around, but can assure you that I will NOT add as much sage the next time--not b/c it tasted bad, but the smell was a bit much for me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Rachel! Just dropping by to tell you that I nominated you for an award on my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey there. I happened upon your blog when googling whole chicken recipes in a crockpot and started perusing. Then I realized we both visit Pam over at For the Love of Cooking. Small world! Love your blog

    ReplyDelete
  11. I actually LOVE the smell of sage, so this sounds lovely to me :) I'll have to give it a try...it is turkey season after all ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. this must be delicious :) i have to try it .
    visit my blog at http://snookysrecipedoodles.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've not used large amounts of sage before, but sometimes spice can be overpowering...I made a curry dish a few years back which had alot of curry in it and I actually got sick- couldn't eat a bite and I haven't used much of it since!Howvever, this turkey looks so moist and delicious, Rachel- I'd just cut back the sage next time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. As soon as I saw this, my mouth started watering! I cannot wait for Thanksgiving. The seasoning sounds delicious and the turkey looks like it came out nice and moist :).

    ReplyDelete