Friday, November 6, 2009

Tuscan Pork Roast


When I'm stressed, worried or upset, I find myself either on a cooking or cleaning tangent! (Hence the abundance of posts lately!) I actually have several recipes I still need to post. Pork is something that I haven't bought much of over the years--I actually only had pork tenderloin for the first time, not that long ago. I really enjoyed it, but it always seemed to be rather pricey. All of a sudden, it seems as if beef has been outrageous and pork has drastically come down in price. I've been able to find pork tenderloin for $1.34-$1.69/lb and I love the fact that it's generally solid "meat"--I can't stand feeling as if I'm paying by the pound and the majority of the weight is the bone! My husband and I happen to really love garlic, so this was an exceptionally good recipe in our book! I even added a little extra garlic for good measure :) I would think this is something you could easily prep ahead of time and then just throw in the oven around dinnertime. I did find that it took longer to bake than the recipe stated...my pork roast was about 4 pounds and it definitely took closer to 2 hrs. Well worth it, though, and I would highly recommend! (Just as an FYI for those of you who have a Kroger nearby...pork tenderloin is on sale this week for $1.37/lb, I believe!)

(Prior to cutting it...)

Tuscan Pork Roast

5 to 8 garlic cloves, peeled (I may have used a bit more...we love garlic!)
1 1/2 tablespoons dried rosemary
2 tablespoons olive oil
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 boneless whole pork loin roast (3 to 4 pounds)

Directions:

In a food processor, combine garlic, rosemary, olive oil and salt; cover and process until mixture becomes a paste. Rub over the roast; cover and let stand for 30 minutes. (I let the rub sit on the roast for closer to an hour).

Place roast, fat side up, on a greased baking rack in a shallow roasting pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 160 degrees. (I made a 4 pound roast and it took closer to 2 hrs...make sure you use a meat thermometer to watch it closely!) Let stand for 10-15 minutes before slicing.

Source: The Taste of Home Cookbook

6 comments:

  1. I do the same thing...although it's usually cooking, not cleaning...LOL!! This sounds awesome...I mean, anything with the name Tuscan in it is good by me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sooo going to try this! Love your new blog look!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, Rachel, this looks mouth watering good! We're eating more pork now,too. I agree about it being a more "solid" piece of meat. Seems like more value money and protein-wise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i cook when i'm stressed too, i also eat, which is part of the problem lol! we love pork at our house and i love all the garlic in this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your roast looks delicious - nice and moist.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pork is one of those underused meats in our house too, but I love it every time we do have it. This looks like something my family would just love!

    ReplyDelete