Sunday, November 1, 2009

Hasselback Potatoes


This past week has been really difficult--my grandfather passed away last Saturday, somewhat unexpectedly. He will be truly missed by everyone who had the privilege of knowing him...he was such a warm and gentle soul and would have done absolutely anything for anyone. I miss you, Popie, and this post is in your honor :)

(This picture was taken at our house a couple of years ago at our son's b-day party. Popie was always such a kid at heart...note the party hat!)

I actually made these potatoes about a week and a half ago--the same night my sister, Sarah made them...total coincidence. I know she really enjoyed them, as did my husband and I. I found that they did take a little longer than an hour to get tender and I think my sister had the same problem, but they were certainly worth the wait! They were absolutely delicious with butter and sour cream!

Hasselback Potatoes

3 russet potatoes
Olive oil
Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
Dried basil, to taste
Garlic cloves, sliced into thin slivers

Directions:

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. After washing the potatoes well, thinly slice each potato, being careful not to cut all the way through. (Place the potato on a large serving spoon so you won't cut all the way through).

Season each potato with basil, sea salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste. Place a thin slice of garlic between each layer. Place the potatoes in a baking dish and drizzle with olive oil.

Bake for 1 hour or until the potato is tender. Serve with butter and sour cream if desired.

Source: For the Love of Cooking

8 comments:

  1. I am so sorry about your Grandfather. We can tell by the birthday hat that he was fun-loving! I know that you will miss having him in your life.

    Great recipe, thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my dear, I am sorry to hear about the passing of your dear Grandfather. What a cutie to wear a party hat at the Birthday Party. He is not far; those who live in hearts never die.

    Don't you just love those potatoes! They look so festive and fancy. Well done. They look so crispy and golden and good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My heart is aching for you. If you need anything let me know.

    Your potatoes look wonderful! I've never had them this way. I was looking for a side dish to go with my chicken tonight and these look perfect! I can't wait to try them out :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather's passing. My heart goes out to you and your family.

    I've made the Hasselback potatoes before and I love them! I got the recipe years ago in one of those free recipe card packets. I've seen some recipes call for them to be peeled first, but I never peel mine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry about your grandfather. It's hard to have a loved one leave us. My sympathy to you and your family.

    Thanks for the delicious recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sorry to hear about your loss of your grandfather. You and your family are in my thoughts.

    Those potatoes look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey friend-you've been in my prayers! Popie was such a gentle, wonderful man and so loved by all of you. I hope you're hanging in there as you mourn your loss. {{hugs}}

    These potatoes were a huge hit at our house too. The kids ate theirs with ketchup and said they were the best ever!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rachel,

    I'm very sorry to hear about your grandfather. I'll keep you and your family in my prayers. He sounds like a wonderful man who will be greatly missed.

    Those potatoes look yummy. I bet they really were good with garlic, sea salt and basil on top. Mmmm.

    ReplyDelete