Thursday, November 5, 2009

Slow-Cooked Lemon Chicken


I always love using my crockpot year-round, but am especially fond of using it this time of year! There's something so comforting about coming in from the cool weather and knowing that you have a nice home-cooked meal waiting for you. I doubled the "sauce" ingredients (as reflected by the amounts I listed in the recipe) and was glad I did--it was nice having plenty of sauce to spoon over the cooked chicken. The only change I would make would be to cut back a bit on the cooking time--I think 3 hrs would be plenty of time, since you are already browning the chicken prior to placing it in the crockpot. (I made a notation of this below, as well!) I served the chicken with buttered rice and sprinkled it with a bit of parsley for garnish, but only served the sauce on the chicken. Enjoy :)

Slow-Cooked Lemon Chicken

6 bone-in chicken breast halves (about 3 pounds), skin removed
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
4 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup water
6 tablespoons lemon juice
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
4 teaspoons minced fresh parsley

Hot cooked rice

Directions:

Pat the chicken dry with paper towels. Combine the oregano, seasoned salt and pepper; rub over the chicken. In a skillet over medium heat, brown the chicken in butter; transfer to a 5 quart slow cooker.

Add the water, lemon juice, garlic and bouillon to the skillet; bring to a boil, stirring to loosen browned bits. Pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours. (I cooked mine closer to 4 hours, but think it may be better to aim for 3 to avoid overcooking the chicken...the flavor was good, but it was a tad bit dry for my liking!)

Baste the chicken. Add parsley. Cover and cook 15-30 minutes longer or until meat juices run clear. If desired, thicken cooking juices and serve over chicken and rice.

Source: Taste of Home, The New Slow Cooker

11 comments:

  1. Rachel - this looks so tasty :)

    I'm with you on the crockpot - especially at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree I love coming home to a fully cooked meal in the fall and winter times! Sounds like a delicious receipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds wonderful! Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love lemon with chicken - this recipe looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a definate try. Anything that looks that good out of a crockpot has to be made!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love my crockpots too. It's wonderful to be free during the dinner hour to help the kids with homework or run in our various directions. Your chicken dinner looks fabulous and is a must try!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lemon was made for chicken! This looks like a great crockpot recipe! Into my "to try" folder! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks good! I like that you doubled the sauce. That is always my first thought with any recipe that has a sauce or gravy. Better to have too much than not enough!

    ReplyDelete
  9. this looks so good! i love lemon chicken. your blog is adorable too, cute background!

    ReplyDelete
  10. chicken and lemon, a tasty pairing, a personal favorite. Definitely double the sauce, grins. This sounds very good. I'm adding this to my stash.

    ReplyDelete