Sunday, July 5, 2009

Happy Birthday to Sarah...and a Chocolate Truffle Cheesecake!


We have always celebrated my sister's birthday on the 4th of July, for as long as I can remember!!! She was born on the 3rd, but my family always tends to gather on the 4th, giving us two reasons to celebrate :) My sister prepared a beautiful dinner (as usual) and I "attempted" to make her cake. I was trying to think of a little something different, so I decided to be daring and try a cheesecake...this time with a springform pan! This recipe comes from Taste of Home's Award Winning Recipes Cookbook, so I was assuming that meant it was going to be good ;) I definitely think it tasted better than it looked, although it was VERY rich! If you're a chocolate lover, this would be the perfect cake for you, but as I've mentioned a million times, I'm not a huge "dessert person". Everyone said they enjoyed it and I would certainly make it again. I hope you all had a wonderful day yesterday and that you enjoy the rest of the weekend!

Chocolate Truffle Cheesecake

1-1/2 cups chocolate wafer crumbs (about 27 wafers)
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup butter, melted

FILLING:
1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
3 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup baking cocoa
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

TOPPING:
1-1/2 cups (9 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Whipped cream and miniature chocolate kisses, optional

Directions:

In a small bowl, combine wafer crumbs and sugar; stir in butter. Press onto the bottom and 1-1/2 in up the sides of a greased 9-in. springform pan. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Reduce heat to 325°.

For filling, melt chocolate chips in a small heavy saucepan or microwave; stir until smooth. Remove from the heat; add cream and mix well. Set aside. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Add cocoa and beat well. Add eggs; beat on low just until combined. Stir in vanilla and reserved chocolate mixture just until blended. Pour over crust. Return pan to baking sheet.

Bake for 45-50 minutes or until center is almost set. For topping, melt chocolate chips in a heavy saucepan or microwave, stir until smooth. Stir in cream and vanilla; mix well. Spread over filling. Cool pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen; cool 1 hour longer. Refrigerate overnight.

Remove sides of pan. Just before serving, garnish with whipped cream and miniature chocolate kisses if desired. Refrigerate leftovers.

(Sarah, her husband and their little Hannah, right before cake time!)


Source: Taste of Home Award Winning Recipes

15 comments:

  1. Your cake sounds just delicious and it looks so decadent and pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great looking birthday cake! I love chocolate so I know I would love it. I actually had a wonderful pumpkin cheesecake this week at work that my co-worker Becky brought it. It was a cheesecake that wasn't overly sweet, so if you like pumpkin you would enjoy it. If I can get her to share her recipe with me (she says its secret) I will post it. After eating that I will never make plain pumpkin pie again (that is if I get the recipe!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that looks like chocolate heaven! Happy birthday to your sis!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so sweet of you hope you had a great family day

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did not need to see that!!! I am craving something sweet and trying to think of other things. This looks like my cup of tea and I will be trying it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have some great recipes and this looks like another good one! The cake in the picture looks so pretty - and chocolately! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow...what a birthday concoction! Thanks for sharing this, and wish your sister a Happy B-day from all of us here at SITS, OK?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cheesecake + chocolate, what's not to love?! That looks amazing! Happy birthday to your sister!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is one decadent, delicious looking cheesecake- a chocoholics dream! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was the perfect birthday cake!! Thanks again! I wish you had taken the leftovers home with you because I have NO self-control where this cheesecake is involved!

    By the way-- you're in such trouble for posting such an unflattering photo! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish I could even understand what it means to not be a dessert person, but I decidedly could eat dessert with every meal if I let myself. This cheesecake looks totally amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh! I believe this was made for a princess!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would love that cheesecake! I'm all about the sweets! I hope your sis had a wonderful b-day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh man, this sounds awesome! Chocolate truffle + Cheesecake...AHHHH!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so impressed with your culinary skills! Do you want to come and make dinner for my kids? They are STARVING!

    ReplyDelete