Thursday, April 30, 2009

Chicken Quesadillas



I believe I've made mention of the fact that I'm not a huge "Mexican food" fan, but I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE quesadillas! When I was pregnant with my son, my husband made the mistake of bringing home Don Pablo's Club Quesadillas---that quickly became a CONSTANT craving! The bacon complimented the chicken so well, especially with the red onion and tomato...YUM! One would think that I, alone, ordered these particular quesadillas often enough to clue them in that it was a popular menu item, but sadly, they stopped making them. My husband has tried several times to recreate the recipe at home and he finally has come up with a pretty close version!

Chicken Quesadillas

3 boneless skinless chicken breasts (pounded out to 1/4 inch thickness)
6-8 slices of bacon
1/2 cup chopped red onions
1 cup roma tomatoes, diced
2 cups shredded Mexican or mild cheddar cheese
4 flour tortillas
4 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons barbecue sauce (We used Sweet Baby Rays)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place bacon onto foil-lined cookie sheet and bake until crispy. While the bacon is cooking, season chicken with desired seasoning (we like the "Chicken and Rib Rub" from Sam's Club!) and grill in a greased grill pan. Cut chicken into small chunks and set aside.

Butter one side of each tortilla and place two of the tortillas, buttered side down in a nonstick skillet. Place 1/2 cup of shredded cheese evenly spread over each tortilla. Divide red onions, tomatoes, chicken and bacon evenly between the two tortillas. Top each tortilla with remaining cheese and drizzle with BBQ sauce. Place remaining two tortillas, butter side up, on top of mixture. Carefully flip quesadilla over and allow to brown on the other side. (Tip: Use a salad plate to flip more easily--place it over the top of the quesadilla and use a spatula underneath to steady it!) Cut into wedges and serve with sour cream and guacamole.

Source: Marcus Guajardo

10 comments:

  1. My kids ask for quesadillas EVERY day!!! I guess it's their version of all the other "normal kids" grilled cheese!!! ;) lol... They even come up with new ways to serve them... with green onions, squirt of lime, etc... Yummy photo, btw!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look fantastic, Rachel. And so simple to make. I love the whole idea of the BBQ sauce in them. Yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love quesadillas - my current favourite has shrimp, cheddar and bbq sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look wonderful! Tell Marcus I'm impressed and he can make these for us any time he wants! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you have alraedy been awarded this, but I have an award waiting for you at my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've made quesadillas very similar to this and they were wonderful. Yours looks so yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know my son would love this recipe! Stopping by from SITS to say "hi" I know that you will enjoy being a part of this vibrant community of bloggers :-)
    carma

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too am a big fan of Mexican food! Those look delicious!

    I came by to welcome you to SITS! It's great to have you in the SITStahood:0)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you everyone for your very sweet comments and a special thank you to those of you visiting from SITS!

    Kathy and Cathy--I'll have to try some of the variations of quesadillas that you mentioned...they sound delicious!

    Sarah (Delectable Dining)--you guys need to come over soon and I'll have Marcus make them for you! Jake keeps asking where "Joshie" is! BTW...I'm making your chicken pasta salad tomorrow (*hopefully*!) I've been CRAVING it bigtime!

    Katie--thank you so much for the award...I greatly enjoy your blog, as well and am anxious to try some of your recipes!

    I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I literally am going to go make myself a quesadilla now. It won't be as good as the one you posted, but it will do the trick until I have time to make this fancy one! Delicious! And I can't wait to see your take on the Taco Salad. If you ever want to try a Taco Pizza let me know!

    Stopping by to give you a big welcome to the SITSahood! Look foward to seeing you around!

    ReplyDelete