Thursday, February 12, 2009

Marcus' Patty Melts



My husband knows how much I love patty melts and hands down, he makes the best "homemade version" that I've EVER had! My mouth is watering just thinking about them! He does tweak them a bit from the more traditional recipe, because he is not a fan of swiss cheese or rye bread, but they always turn out delicious! He even made half with ground turkey and the other half with ground chuck this time, since he's really trying to watch what he eats. I think I've made my feelings quite clear regarding how I feel about ground turkey, so you can rest assured that I wouldn't take so much as a bite of his sandwich, but he said the ground turkey was pretty good and that he would certainly eat it again in burger form!

Marcus' Patty Melts

2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 sweet onion, diced
1 clove fresh garlic, minced
1 lb ground chuck or ground turkey
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon garlic salt
8 slices Texas Toast
margarine
8 slices provolone cheese (or swiss...that's my personal preference!)
BBQ Sauce

Directions:

Heat olive oil in pan; add onions and garlic and saute until tender.

In a large bowl, combine meat, eggs, half of the onions and garlic salt. Divide into four patties and cook in grill pan until cooked according to your personal preference--we like ours medium rare to medium :) ***Make sure you flatten patties and make a thumb indentation in the middle of each, to prevent them from shrinking up into smaller "balls"***

Butter one side of each slice of bread and place on griddle, butter side down, to toast. Place one slice of provolone cheese on each slice of bread. When cheese begins melting, place patty on top of one slice of toast, top with onions and finish with another slice of toast and your favorite BBQ sauce--we swear by Sweet Baby Rays!

Source: Marcus Guajardo

2 comments: