Saturday, January 31, 2009

Greek Lemon Chicken Soup


My husband loves soup...he could eat it almost every day and actually tends to do just that! Even more than his love for soup, is his love for anything "lemon"! This seemed to be the perfect recipe option to please everyone, especially myself, who was wanting to use up some leftover chicken that I had in the refrigerator. To my surprise, the soup was even a big hit with my 3 1/2 year old--his exact words were "Mommy, you made a great soup!" (Talk about melting your heart!) I very much enjoyed the soup, but did feel that the lemon was a tad bit overpowering, as was the amount of soup base that the recipe called for--it tasted a little "salty" to me. I would suggest cutting back a little on the lemon juice and perhaps only adding 4 tablespoons of soup base, instead of 6, but all in all, this was a nice, hearty soup...it would be excellent with a loaf of French bread!

Greek Lemon Chicken Soup

8 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup shredded carrots
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
6 tablespoons chicken soup base
1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
1/4 cup margarine
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup cooked white rice
1 cup diced, cooked chicken meat
16 slices lemon
8 egg yolks

Directions:

In a large pot, combine the chicken broth, lemon juice, carrots, onions, celery, soup base, and white pepper. Bring to a boil on high, then simmer for 20 minutes.

Blend the butter and the flour together. Then gradually add it to the soup mixture. Simmer for 10 minutes more, stirring frequently.

Meanwhile, beat the egg yolks until light in color. Gradually add some of the hot soup to the egg yolks, stirring constantly. Return the egg mixture to the soup pot and heat through. Add the rice and chicken. Ladle hot soup into bowls and garnish with lemon slices.

Source: Allrecipes

2 comments:

  1. Yum!! This looks good and I love your lemon garnish! :) How does it compare to Commander's Lemon Rice Soup?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny you mention Commander, because I always loved both their soup and Round the Clock's lemon rice soup! While it's been years since I've had either, I definitely think this soup is comparable...just make sure to cut back a bit on the lemon and soup base!

    ReplyDelete