Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Garlic Roasted Chicken


My family and I have been attempting to eat a bit healthier lately, so this seemed like the perfect recipe! I'm horribly ashamed to admit this, but this is maybe the third time in my entire lifetime that I've made a whole chicken--for some reason, they intimidate me! I can never seem to carve it so it actually appears presentable, but I was up for a challenge. This chicken was absolutely delicious! As I cut into it, the juices flowed out--it was incredibly tender and moist. The recipe calls for a three pound chicken, but I would highly suggest either getting one larger chicken or making two, because I think it would reheat really well--especially if served with the gravy. By no means am I a gravy fan, but the gravy for this recipe was pretty good, if I do say so myself! I opted to use chicken broth instead of wine and apple juice, instead of sherry and I would certainly make it that way again. The only thing I did differently was use lime juice instead of a lime wedge, as I did not have any actual limes on hand.

Garlic Roasted Chicken

(1) 3 lb broiler/fryer chicken
1/2 cup white wine or chicken broth, divided
1 lime wedge
2 garlic cloves, peeled
1 bay leaf
Fresh thyme sprigs (optional)
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
2 tablespoons sherry or apple juice

Directions:

Place chicken breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan. In a bowl, combine 1/4 cup wine or broth, lime wedges, garlic, bay leaf and thyme. Pour into cavity of chicken. Pour remaining wine or broth in roasting pan. Sprinkle chicken with paprika. Loosely tent with foil. Bake at 375 degrees F for 45 minutes, basting occasionally. Remove foil; bake 40-45 minutes longer or until juices run clear and a meat thermometer reads 180 degrees F, basting occasionally. Add additional wine or broth to pan of liquid evaporates.

Discard bay leaf and lime wedges. Remove chicken to a serving platter and let stand for 10 minutes before carving. Pour drippings and loosened brown bits into a measuring cup. Skim fat. In a saucepan, combine the cornstarch, bouillon and sherry or juice until smooth. Gradually stir in drippings. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve gravy with chicken.

Source: Allrecipes.com

No comments:

Post a Comment